Designing Learning Spaces Online
Join the Learning Arch Design Bootcamp
Create the space for connection, consolidation and co-creation to land, share, inspire and sharpen your programme(s), and set the platform for the next phase of your pedagogical development.
An invitation to increase the potential and bandwidth for risk, engagement, creativity, and innovation in the next version of a short course of part of a bigger programme.
In this bootcamp, we will focus on the core elements of setting, holding, and landing of the learning journey, arches, experiences & spaces:
SET EVENT: PERSONAL: 2HR SESSION at 12:30 CET on ZOOM
Where are you at and what’s your learning edge?
- Learning maturity, epistemology, and intro to learning arches.
- How to set the learning journey, learning culture and learning style.
- Work with skills, knowledge, theory & methods.
- Design for Learning Development: personal, practical & professional
HOLD EVENT: PRACTICAL: 2HR SESSION at 12:30 CET on ZOOM
What’s above the line? Skills, knowledge, theory & methods – The Known!
- How to hold the learning space and learning arches. (intervention and guidance)
- Cont. to Define & Design the learning experience.
- Work with attitudes & mindsets.
LAND EVENT: PROFESSIONAL: 2HR SESSION at 12:30 CET on ZOOM
What’s below the line? Mindsets, values, attitudes & behaviour – The Unknown!
- How to land the learning space and learning arches. (Assessment, measurement, analysis, evaluation, and reflection).
- Explore the needs in the Team which can support a strategy for next steps.
We will explore the first 1 of the 4Ds: Define, design, Deliver & Discover, and across the following three learning levels:
- Design for 3P Learning Development: personal, practical & professional.
- Design the Learning style: act, learn, adapt & repeat.
- Design for individual, group and team-based learning and pedagogy.
Is This For Me?
Explore the power of visualising learning journeys, learning spaces design & learning experience design for packaging skills, knowledge, attitudes, and values for autonomous (self-directed) and personal, practical, and professional level development.
Basic introduction to the core Kaospilot learning design method & toolbox (elements) for experiential and problem/action/context-based learning design.
Basic introduction to the full 4D learning arch design process with focus on the 2nd D, Designing Learning Arches.
Create a clear overview to inspire creativity in developing an engaging learning journey which ‘un-packs the pursuit of knowledge’ for on/off/hybrid delivery.
Optional & emergent: Explore and design for different future & Covid scenarios and dogma, e.g.: full online, hybrid, reduced students or studio access, best content for online etc.
Each event will set the stage for the weeks creative, open, and explorative offline and analogue learning arch prototyping, sketching & Design. (supported by your Triad group). So, there will be
- There will be 3 x LAD sprints, 2 during the course and one in the week after the course ends.
- You have the option to work as much as you like during the sprints and connect in your LAD triad groups as your group decides. This could be informal walk & talk session or short zoom calls for creative sparring, support, and feedback sessions.
- There will also be other reference materials like the ‘new’ Learning Design Element app* and periodic poster (above), a few short perspectives adjusting and confirming videos.
- There is no ongoing input or support from the course leader apart from the 3 x 2-hour sessions and a concise weekly prompt.
“Learning Arches – the MacGyver Tool Kit and Mindset. The uniqueness of the Learning arch method cannot be doubted by anyone. But nevertheless, I would like to highlight some personal experiences that strongly influenced my mindset.”Professor at Estonian Academy of Arts, Product Designer and Trainer, Estonia
“The learning arches represent a learning cycle, which can be the 3 years of a degree, a semester,a month, a week. In each arch there needs to be a start, a mid point where there should be some kind of assessment of the module and a landing or ending point, that offers the students or participants an end and a closure to a cycle.”Professor at Pontifícia, Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
“The Learning Arches forced us to re-think our curriculum and thereby our existing mindset. It is a long-term process designing a new integrative and less complex curriculum, but using the Learning Arches in its total context (not only as a design technique) proves to be very powerful in making a fundamental change, in designing education that is focused at the students, and allowing teachers to (re)discover their passion and strength in their teaching profession.”Lecturers at NHL/Stenden University Groningen, Netherlands
Frequently asked questions
What is Designing Learning Spaces?
Designing Learning Spaces is a course offered by KAOSPILOT, where you as a teacher or lecturer, learn how to bring risk-taking autonomy and action-based learning into your learning programs.
What is the purpose of designing learning spaces?
The purpose of designing learning spaces is to inspire others to learn in different ways and to explore different models of learning.
What is a good learning space?
A good learning space is a space where people are given the confidence to create together and to focus not only on their skills and knowledge but also on their attitudes and mindsets.
Course duration: 2 weeks
- 2×2 hours session in week 1
- 1×2 hours session in week 2
- Approx 2 hours work on individual practice + optional group session
Pre-course work: Some reading
Europe — 12.30pm CET
Australia — 10.30pm AEDT
Brazil — 07.30am BRT
€ 325,00 Incl. VAT